UPDATE: YOU CAN TOTALLY PREORDER THE BOOK RIGHT NOW!!!
I’ve been working on this book cover for a week straight, so it’s the most I can muster today as far as comics go.
Here’s the deal: Starting Monday, July 27th you will be able to preorder the first HijiNKS Ensue Collection, Volume 1: Godspeed, You Fancy Bastard. I am super excited and crazy terrified about this news. I am also a little dizzy, slightly nauseous and I might be suffering from Braxton Hicks contractions and spontaneous ear wigs.
What’s in the book?
- All of the HE comics from 2007-2008 in full color
- “Directors Commentary” on each comic
- A forward by Bill Barnes of Unshelved (it’s incredibly mean)
- Early sketches of the HE characters
- Never before seen comics from my Highschool Newspaper days
- AND MORE!
If the Preorder goes well, the books should ship in mid to late September. The first books is always the hardest, so please bear with me on the preorder and shipping times.
Many of you have emailed and twitters to ask me how The Experiment is going. I’m glad I can finally answer with a resounding “Not So Good!”
I’m going to level with you. I am pretty much out of funds to keep doing HE as my full time job. It only brings in about half the income my family needs to make it each month and the freelance gigs and such just aren’t coming fast enough. This book is either going to be the end of The Experiment or the beginning of the next phase. I’m all about beginnings, so that’s what I’m shooting for.
How can you help keep HE alive?
Simple. PLEASE PREORDER THE BOOK IN THE FIRST WEEK!
It’s going to cost me $6000-7000 to have the initial run of the books printed (HELLOOOO VISA!), but those books represent enough potential income to buy me a few months to figure out the next phase of The Experiment.
I’m offering the book in a few flavors for your purchasing enjoyment:
ULTIMATE SPECIAL FANCY EDITION (limited to 150): $50
- The book, signed and numbered
- A special limited print of the cover image, also signed and numbered
- A “Godspeed, You Fancy Bastard” bumper sticker
- Upgrade to “Artist Edition” for just $10 more and I will sketch in the book, essentially ruining it
This edition of the book is for you Super Fancy Bastards that want to help with the printing costs of the book. The price includes a $10-$15ish donation. No other Vol. 1 books or prints will ever be numbered so these are one of a kind editions. If I can sell all 150 of these I can pay for ALL of the books I am printing (and sleep at night).
Artist Edition: $35
- I will sign, personalize and sketch in your book. You can specify which character you would like sketched (but don’t get crazy)
Regular Awesome Edition: $20
- A book, with all that other stuff, minus the fancy stuff
So, there you go. I don’t want to sound desperate, but this is either the end of the most amazing, rewarding job I’ve ever had or the beginning of something even more amazing. If you enjoy HE and want to see it continue, PLEASE preorder the book, make a donation or pick up shirt or print. I love making these comics for you and I don’t want to stop. Now that I’ve done it for 2+ years, I really don’t know how I could go back to a regular 9-5. This is my calling.
Godspeed You Fancy Bastards,