Grammar Dalek Shirts will go on presale after I get back from SDCC.
This comic was inspired by and features the second appearance of my cat, Replay. [UPDATE: Fancy Bastard Stephen found another instance of Replay in the comic archive.] My other, stupider cat’s name is Tivo. They both hate commercials. The title is derived from how my daughter actually sang the theme song to the 60’s Spider-Man cartoon show when she was 4 years old. It seemed oddly appropriate.
I wrote up a bunch of thoughts on Twitter about The Amazing Spider-Man after seeing the movie. Rather than paraphrase, I am just going to post it all below. COMMENTERS: Feel free to post your thoughts on ASM in the comments. I would say, “No spoilers,” but how can you spoil a story that’s been told 100 times over the last 50 years? [words in blue are from Twitter followers]
- Saw Amazing Spider-Man. Sam Raimi’s Spider is to Tim Burton’s Batman as ASM is to Batman Begins.
- That isn’t to say that it’s vastly superior. Raimi and Burton’s movies we’re 90’s era comics come to life. ASM and BB are more grounded.
- Raimi and Burton were all about spectacle and showmanship. ASM and Bat-Nolan are all about characters.
- Spider-Man and Batman had strikingly similar arcs in the first 3 movies. Good, better, FUCKING BAT COUNTRY.
- @hijinksensue That’s exactly how I feel about Raimi’s films. They’re live-action cartoons. They’re fun, but don’t hold up 10 years later.
- yeah they are very time capsulesque. Beyond their era they stick out like a sore thumb.
- .@imariaprime I don’t think there was “filler” in ASM, but it was tough to sit through Spiderman’s origin story for 40 min AGAIN.
- They tweaked the origin enough to keep it familiar but fresh but sitting there waiting for Uncle Ben to give the speech and die was tough.
- But they HAVE to cover that ground to allow the new trilogy to stand on its own. Can’t skip straight to the sequel.
- Ok nevermind. They could have spent 15 minutes recapping or streamlining the origin.
- As far as actors go, Garfield blew McGuire out of the water.
- @hijinksensue was never a fan of maguire as peter Parker. Although that could have something to do with how badly he was written
- @OfDoomReview wife and I had the same conversation tonight. You can only work with what you’re given.
- Also happy to report that the annoying things about the costume in ASM aren’t nearly as noticeable in the actual film as in the press photos
- You never even see the magic silver slippers. The basketball texture is still weird but not as detestable as I was expecting.
- @Noahsturdevant since his name was tossed around, Gyllenhaal would have made a better Spiderman than McGuire.
- And Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy? Let’s just say I wouldn’t throw HER off a bridge to her death. #what #noidea